Thursday 2 May 2013

Highjacked

I'm afraid this post has been hijacked.
I was planning to tell you all about the workshop I went to with the fabulous Beverley Birch and pass on some of her words of wisdom.
BUT
I'm not going to do that now because my brain has been hijacked.
Yes, it's true.
There I was working hard finishing off my novel. I was very close to the end and looking forward to a break from writing for a few months and then bang!
An innocent comment sparked off an idea, the idea developed a voice and that voice refused to leave.
"Look, I'm a bit busy now," I said politely. "Come back later when I've finished this book."
But the voice wouldn't leave. It capered about in a diverting way and dragged my attention away from my novel.
 "Go away!" I said a bit more firmly now. "I can't talk now, I have to finish."
Still no joy. It fluttered about my head, sending out possibilities and ideas and worming it's way ever deeper.
Finally I realised I wouldn't be able to escape and found myself sitting at my laptop and opening a new file.
I was writing the first chapter.
Just the first chapter I thought and then I'd stop.
I didn't want to though. The voice dragged me deeper...what could happen next?
I was making notes then, fleshing out a story and about to embark on a new novel.

But, luckily for me I was reined in by my son.
I'd been reading him my current project and he'd been listening eagerly. When he realised I was thinking of not finishing it in favour of a new project he was furious.
I had to finish it or face his wrath.

So I did. I'm pleased to say that I managed to write the last few chapters and now I'm putting  the first draft away so I can start on the next one. My month of rest and relaxation has gone up the spout because I've been hijacked by a voice in my head. I'll be forced to write now, to find out what will happen to him, to find out the truth hidden in his past, to find a way to shut him up and get some peace.

Of course there are benefits to this method. Instead of fretting and worrying and rewriting my first draft before I'm ready, I can instead put it away easily and will be able to leave it there for a reasonable time.
Also, it's much easier to have crits and rejections on a work that you've emotionally cut off from, when you're still invested it's much harder.

And I'm hoping, of course, that this new voice that I couldn't resist will contain a story so special, so remarkable that not only will I not be able to help writing it but that others won't be able to stop reading it!

I'm  hoping I'm not the only one hearing these voices in my head,  do you manage to ignore them or do they take over your life? Let me know!

I'm hoping to resume normal service next week but no promises. I'll have to ask the voices first...





1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I really hope this new voice is going to become a fantastic story. Just let it speak through you. And I'm really looking forward to hearing the advice from Beverly Birch. I went to a session of hers once, and was thoroughly inspired.

    ReplyDelete